Requirements and forms for pre-licensing course providers
What is the Pre-licensing Course?
The Pre-licensing Course, also known as “the 5-hour course,” is a DMV-designed classroom course that provides new drivers with information which will help them drive safely. New drivers must complete this course (or a New York State approved Driver Education Course) before they can schedule their driving test for their driver license. For many students, the course provides the only formal training opportunity to gain knowledge of the basic rules of the road, safe driving principles, defensive driving skills, and other factors which affect driving.
The course is offered at high schools, colleges and commercial driving schools, and at a few other DMV-approved sites, such as BOCES. To teach for a high school or college (a NY State Education Department approved institution), you must be a certified driver education teacher. To teach for a driving school, you must be a certified driving school instructor with a classroom endorsement. Only approved classroom instructors may teach the Pre-licensing Course. Instructors must follow the DMV’s course curriculum and provide instruction only at approved locations.
The purpose of the Pre-licensing course is to help the new driver:
The 5 hour class (Pre-licensing course) is an in-class lecture, supplemented with certain videos. The certificate will be given to the student at the completion of the course. This certificate is needed when scheduling a road test.
- Become aware of a driver's responsibilities
- Understand the "rules-of-the-road"
- Use safe driving concepts and crash avoidance techniques
- Understand why it's necessary to use occupant protection devices to protect themselves and their passengers from possible injury
- Recognize the risk of driving when sleepy (fatigued) or under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- Please come in for registration 10 minutes before the class is to begin
- Bring your learner's permit. The fee is $50.00.
- For your convenience we accept cash, money orders, credit/debit cards, checks.
- The certificate is valid for 1 year. It is not renewable. If lost, a duplicate can be obtained from the school for extra fee.